San Francisco to Las Vegas
Travel from the city slick streets of San Francisco, to the desert lights of Las Vegas. Wine and dine along the coast, then marvel at mother nature’s artwork. This trip pulls out all the stops!
Leaving San Francisco behind we make south along California's coast to the Paso Robles wine region. Sip on some Zinfandel or a smooth glass of Cabernet Sauvignon as you soak in the views of beautiful vineyards and olive groves. Then wander through the streets of Hollywood. Before it’s time to leave the city behind and hit the road, as we head east into Arizona we'll drive along part of the iconic Route 66, and we'll stay in the charming town of Williams. Soak up the atmosphere of Americana in a classic diner.
Heading north into Utah, we take in the stunning scenery offered by some of America's most breathtaking national parks, including Bryce Canyon, Zion and Arches. To cap it off, we have a two-night stay in our last destination on the tour, the entertainment capital of the world, Las Vegas.
Photos of the Tour
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- All accommodation has free wifi & air-conditioning.
- 12 month National Parks pass included.
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: San Francisco, CA - Monterey Area, CA - Paso Robles, CA
Welcome to the San Francisco to Las Vegas tour! After meeting up in San Francisco this morning, we'll immediately set out for Moss Landing Harbor, where we'll make a quick photo stop. Moss Landing is known for its rich marine life, so if we're lucky we'll see some sea otters and sea lions from the shore. Then we're off to Monterey Fisherman's Wharf, where you'll have some free time to explore and grab some lunch at the many great restaurants. We'll then make our way along the iconic Pacific Coast Highway to Paso Robles, enjoying views of the Big Sur along the way. This quaint settlement on the banks of the famous Salinas river is all about the wineries and hot springs. We'll check in at our hotel, before heading out to enjoy a welcome dinner.
DAY 2: Paso Robles, CA - Santa Barbara, CA - Los Angeles, CA
Today we wave Paso Robles goodbye and make our way to Los Angeles. We break for free time for lunch in Santa Barbara, a beautiful city against the Ynez Mountains. Santa Barbara is also called the 'American Riviera' and known for its Spanish heritage. We then continue on our way to LA. We don't waste any time and start exploring immediately. Your tour leader will show you a few of the hot spots, including the Griffith Observatory and Hollywood strip.
DAY 3: Los Angeles, CA - Free day
Today we greet the day in the City of Angels & take the full day to explore. You have a free day to do as you please. This means you can set out on your own or join in on an optional outing. You could get tickets to Disneyland or go on a day trip to Venice Beach & Santa Monica pier. Movie fans could stick around in LA itself and take our optional hop-on hop-off bus tour excursion. The options are endless in La La Land.
DAY 4: Los Angeles, CA - Free day
There is so much to see and do in LA that we've decided to give you another free day. This way you can tailor a Tinseltown adventure that ticks all your boxes. Just like yesterday, you have the option to follow your nose and do as you please. You also have the opportunity to go on optional excursions. You could go on the ultimate fairytale outing to Disneyland.
DAY 5: Los Angeles, CA - Calico, CA - Mojave National Preserve, CA - Lake Havasu, AZ
See ya Los Angeles! Today we continue on our USA coach tour. We drive through the stunning San Bernardino National Forest and make our way to Calico. Calico is a ghost town that hails from the silver mining era. We also encounter the Mojave National Preserve. You'll get to see incredible sight like volcanic cinder cones and the famous singing sand dunes. Not to mention carpets of wildflowers and imposing Joshua tree forests.
DAY 6: Lake Havasu, AZ - Oatman, AZ - Route 66 - Williams, AZ
Today we travel the iconic Route 66, known as the 'Mother Road' of America. As we make our way along the highway, we'll stop off in Oatman, a town in the Black Mountains which experienced a gold rush in the early 20th century. We'll then drive on to Hackberry General Store, a favourite among travellers along Route 66. With a rustic store front, 1957 red Corvette convertible and classic gas pumps, this is your opportunity to get a photo of true Americana. To round off the day, we'll enjoy an included dinner in a classic American diner.
DAY 7: Grand Canyon South, AZ - Monument Valley area, AZ
The next leg of our USA coach tour leads us to one of America's most famous sights - the Grand Canyon. This famous Arizona landmark is truly awe-inspiring. We'll take our time to gaze in wonder at the rocky walls that descend to the coursing Colorado River beneath.
DAY 8: Monument Valley, AZ - Arches National Park, UT - Canyonlands National Park, UT - Moab, UT
This morning we'll visit the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park. This majestic area is home to the famous West Mitten, East Mitten and Merrick Butte's. We'll stop off at the perfect viewpoint to take photos of these incredible natural structures, and those who wish to venture further can take a jeep safari further into Monument Valley. Then we're off to experience the Canyonlands, with photo stops at the spectacular Green River Outlook and the iconic Mesa Arch. Then we're off to see the famous stone formations at Arches National Park. We leave the bus to see some of the arches up close. This is a day packed full with photo stops, so make sure you have your camera charged!
DAY 9: Bryce Canyon, UT - Zion National Park, UT
Our holiday in the Western US gets even more exciting as we make our way towards Capitol Reef National Park, where we visit the Gooseneck Overlook, a viewpoint at an 's' shaped gorge in the canyon. Afterwards, we're off to Bryce Canyon National Park. Here we marvel at the world's largest concentration of hoodoos. A hoodoo is a lowering limestone spire that rises from the desert floor. Next, we travel to Zion National Park, where the Zion Canyon cuts through the red and tan-coloured sandstone.
DAY 10: Zion National Park, UT - Las Vegas, NV
No USA coach tour would be complete without a visit to Las Vegas! Today we make our way to this hub of glitz and glamour in the Nevada desert. More than 41 million travellers visit Vegas each year and it's easy to see why. This bustling city is home to more than half of the world's largest hotels and 150+ casinos. Not to mention all the theatres and live performance venues. When we arrive we'll take you on a driving tour of the famous Strip - a boulevard known for its many glitzy hotels and casinos.
DAY 11: Las Vegas, NV - Free day
Today you have a full day to explore Las Vegas as you please. Try your hand at some roulette or blackjack! There is a lot to see and do in Las Vegas, including many shows and concerts. Alternatively, join our optional excursion to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon West Skywalk.
DAY 12: End of tour
The tour concludes today in Las Vegas after breakfast. Don’t forget to swap details with your fellow travellers before your onward journey home!
- 11 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 11 breakfasts, 6 dinners
- Local taxes and fees
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 22 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
- 12 month National Parks pass
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Grand Canyon Helicopter Ride
- San Diego day-trip
- Monument Valley Open Air Tour
- Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon West Rim Day Trip
- Hop-on, hop-off bus tour
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
Most nationalities will require a pre-arranged visa or Electronic System for Travel Authorization's (ESTA's) for this tour. Please see our visas page for more information. It is your responsibility to contact the relevant embassy to confirm your visa requirements. Where a visa is required Expat Explore can provide support documentation upon request - please contact us for more information.
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of the activities and meals that are included in the tour cost, and those which are optional/extra. We would recommend budgeting $50-75 per day (this excludes optional excursions, see the essential tour information page for details and prices).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts in San Francisco, California and finishes in Las Vegas, Nevada. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have at least two blank pages as visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.