Taste of England
Buck up there guv'nor, we've rustled up a truly brilliant, week-long England holiday that will knock your socks right off. As quintessentially British as a spot o' tea, the Queen Mother and a corgi in a Union Jack-overcoat, this England vacation package is about as authentic as it comes.
Join us on this tour of England as we marvel at archaeological wonders, follow in Roman footsteps to healing springs, amble along ancient limestone gorges, and stop along the way to enjoy some good ol' bubble and squeak at a roadside pub. We'll also look up the very first king of England, tip a hat to The Bard, go the way of Penny Lane and Eleanor Rigby and traipse through more than just one epic castle. Excited about our England tours yet? Blinding! Book your spot on one of our guided English coach tours and let's go see a man about a dog, shall we?
This tour can be joined with the 7-day Scotland tour - click here to view the combined 'Scotland & England Explorer' itinerary.
Photos of the Tour
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Massive early bird savings
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: London - Stonehenge - Bath - Devon
Welcome to your tour of England! Departing from London, we make our way to Stonehenge, the ancient archaeological wonder that has stood for thousands of years in the countryside of south-west England. You have the option to enter this ancient site for yourself and learn about the history of the area. Once we’ve had a chance to look around, we’re off to the beautiful and historic city of Bath, famous of course for the Roman baths built here during the reign of the Empire. We’ll then travel on to Devon, a county in the southwest of England known for its beautiful beaches and national parks. En-route we’ll drive through Cheddar Gorge, a stunning limestone gorge, before enjoying an included welcome dinner so you can get to know your tour leader and fellow travellers.
DAY 2: Tintagel Castle - St Ives - Mevagissey - Devon
Today we’ll explore Devon and the neighbouring county of Cornwall, with the drive taking us through Dartmoor, the national park known for its stunning natural beauty. The first stop of the day is Tintagel Castle, where you'll have the option to visit the medieval island fortification long associated with the legends of King Arthur. We’ll then make our way to St Ives - one of the most popular seaside resorts in Cornwall, it’s the perfect place to grab some fish and chips for lunch. Our final stop of the day is at Mevagissey, a beautiful fishing village on the Cornish coast. This village dates back to the 14th century and you’ll have some time to explore the narrow streets and shop for some souvenirs before we return to the hotel this evening.
DAY 3: Malmesbury - Cotswolds - Bampton - Oxford
As we make our way to the Cotswolds we'll stop off in Malmesbury to see the Abbey where Athelstan, the first king of England, was buried in 941. The Cotswolds is an area known for the famous gold coloured Cotswold stone. The beautiful villages, historic towns and grand stately homes across the area are built from this material. This afternoon we’ll visit the village of Bampton in Oxfordshire, which was the setting for the fictional Yorkshire village of Downton in the acclaimed TV drama Downton Abbey. Some of the shows most famous moments have been filmed in and around the church in Bampton. Later this afternoon we’ll arrive in Oxford, the historic city known worldwide as the home of the University of Oxford, the oldest university in the English-speaking world. You’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic city centre, where you’ll see for yourself why Oxford is known as the ‘city of dreaming spires’, before an included dinner this evening in a local pub.
DAY 4: Stratford upon Avon - Liverpool
After breakfast we make for Stratford-upon-Avon, the hometown of William Shakespeare. A market town with more than 800 years of history, it still has many buildings that would be familiar to the bard if he was still around today. You'll enjoy some free time to explore - why not visit Shakespeare's house? We’ll then travel north to Liverpool, a famous British port city with a rich history - music fans will be enthralled to be in the home of The Beatles. Spot the famous sites with our driving tour of the city, and explore the city yourself during your free time this evening. We suggest you head to Mathew Street, the beating heart of the live music scene and home to the world-famous ‘Cavern Club’, where The Beatles first made their mark on modern music.
DAY 5: Samlesbury - Windermere - Carlisle
A short drive from Liverpool is our first destination, Samlesbury, where we’ll visit Samlesbury Hall, a famous medieval manor house and stately home built in the 14th century, this is included in your tour package. We’ll then visit Windermere, the largest natural lake in England, situated in the stunningly beautiful Lake District National Park. You’ll have some free time to explore Windermere before we head to our accommodation in Cumbria; considered one of England's most outstanding areas of natural beauty, it has provided inspiration for many famous artists, including William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
DAY 6: Hadrian’s Wall - Alnwick Castle - Durham - York
Our first stop this morning is Hadrian’s Wall, built by the Romans as the northern limit of the Roman Empire and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You will then have the opportunity to visit Alnwick Castle, the home of the Duke of Northumberland and the second-largest inhabited castle in England after Windsor Castle. This castle has also featured in many famous films and TV shows, including two Harry Potter films (The Philosopher’s Stone and The Chamber of Secrets), Downton Abbey and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Our next stop is Durham, an ancient city with a stunning Romanesque cathedral and Norman castle, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Later this afternoon we’ll arrive in York, where we’ll enjoy a walking tour of this historic walled city before an included farewell dinner this evening.
DAY 7: Cambridge - London
Unfortunately it’s the last day of your England tour, but we're finishing off with a real treat - today we make our way to the historic university town of Cambridge! Along with the exquisite architecture, quirky traditions and deep history, there are a significant number of bright sparks who have passed through the city’s famous university, including Charles Darwin, David Attenborough and William Wordsworth. We’ll do the traditional pastime and go punting along the river before we return to London where our tour concludes this evening.
- 6 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 6 breakfasts, 3 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 17 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Alnwick Castle
- Shakespeare's House
- Roman Baths
- The Beatles Story & Museum
- Tintagel Castle
- University of Oxford college visit
- An Evening in Scotland
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts and finishes in London. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).