What to expect on 2016/2017 Albania holidays with Expat Explore
Like many of its neighbours, Albania has shaken off its somewhat troubled history to become an incredibly interesting, engaging travel destination. On tours to Albania visitors will notice that the capital, Tirana, in particular, has undergone a remarkable transformation from its communist past to become a vibrant, accessible city with myriad tourist attractions. Architecture with Ottoman and Italian influences can still be seen, while grey communist buildings, now set alongside sprawling public squares and bustling streets, have been repainted in bright colours.
Things to do in Albania
Albania vacations take place against an astonishing natural backdrop that includes a whopping fourteen National Parks and adventure destinations that cater for everything from spelunking and trekking to skiing, rafting and kayaking. Culinary explorers can look forward to wonderful Mediterranean cuisine that draws on influences from Greece and Italy and includes an abundance of locally-grown produce like olives, grapes, peppers, figs and leafy greens.
Did you know?
- Local Albanians call their country 'Squiperia' or the Republika e Shquiperise.
- Born in Skopje in 1910 (then the Ottoman Empire, now Macedonia), the late Mother Theresa, born Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, is the only Albanian to ever receive a Nobel Peace Prize. The Tirana International Airport was named in her honour in 2001.
- Albania is one of only three European countries that doesn't have a McDonald's branch.
- King Zog, who ruled over Albania between 1928 and 1939, is the only known modern-day survivor of a political assassination attempt to return fire on the would-be assassin.
- In Albania, nodding your head means 'no' and shaking it from side to side means 'yes'.
Albania tours with Expat Explore
Now that you've enjoyed a glimpse at what Albania has it offer, it's time to book an Albania tour package to go see it for yourself! At Expat Explore, visits to Albania are included in two of our Europe coach tour packages - the comprehensive 16-day Balkan Explorer and the 14-day Adriatic Coastal Explorer. Also keep an eye on our last minute holiday deals for great deals on group packages and Albania touring holidays.
- Experiences Included: 18
- Optional Excursions: 4
- Meals Included: 23
- Tour Operator: Expat Explore
- START IN: Athens
- END IN: Athens
- Explore every country in the Balkan peninsula
- Free days to enjoy Dubrovnik, Budapest & Sofia
- Explore Delphi, Meteora & Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Visit Kotor, Budva, Tirana, Ljubljana, Belgrade & Thessaloniki