Experience the highlights of western Europe over 10 incredible days on our Best of Western Europe London to Rome coach tour. Starting in London, you will enjoy your first night in the UK capital exploring the historic Greenwich neighbourhood and getting to know your Expat Explore tour leader and fellow travellers at the included welcome dinner. The next morning we cross the English Channel to begin our exploration of mainland Europe! You'll visit cities like Paris, Lucerne, Heidelberg and Florence, where you can experience the historic architecture, rich culture and vibrant nightlife. Foodies will also have plenty of opportunity to indulge their passion, as we travel through the Tuscany region in Italy!
One of the many benefits of an Expat Explore bus tour is that you will visit more little-known, but none the less stunning destinations, that you would miss if you travelled by train or plane. Heidelberg, for example, is Germany's oldest university town with a beautiful ruined castle overlooking the old town and the Rhein Falls in Switzerland is the largest plain waterfall in Europe.
As with all Expat Explore coach tours, this tour is a guaranteed departure, and you will be accompanied for the duration by an experienced and passionate tour leader. Our tour busses are modern, comfortable and air conditioned, and at each hotel we include free wi-fi in your tour package so you can stay connected and share all your incredible photos and memories with your friends and family while on tour!
Please note this tour forms the first leg of our Best of Europe tour.
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Massive early bird savings
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: Arrive in London
Meet your Expat Explore tour leader at the starting hotel. This afternoon, we’ll head out to the Royal Borough of Greenwich. As part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site it’s a must-see with many historical buildings and gardens. Your tour leader will walk you through Greenwich park to a traditional British pub where we’ll enjoy an included welcome dinner. We’ll then wander through the historic Greenwich docklands, past the Old Royal Naval College and the famous Cutty Sark ship. After a short boat ride past the financial district’s skyscrapers, we’ll jump aboard the Emirates Air Line, a cable car across the river Thames which offers panoramic views of the east London skyline.
DAY 2: London - Paris
Departing London, you will cross the English Channel and travel on to 'The City of Lights and Love' - Paris! Your experienced tour leader will introduce you to all the key Parisian sites on a relaxing coach tour of the city. Keep an eye out for such iconic landmarks as the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre and Notre Dame - take a mental note of what you wish to explore more further on your free day. This evening we'll enjoy dinner at a restaurant in the Latin Quarter, an eclectic, bohemian and historic neighbourhood. We'll then travel back to the hotel on Paris' world famous metro system, ready to explore the city further on our free day tomorrow!
DAY 3: Paris - Free day
Enjoy a full free day to explore the French capital to your heart’s content! The Seine River is the backbone of the capital, and flows through the heart of the city. Why not choose a cruise, and sail past the grandeur of the gothic Notre Dame cathedral, to the epic Eiffel Tower? Paris Disneyland is perfect for the ‘young at heart’, and is only a short distance away. Your Expat Explore tour leader is brimming with ideas and local knowledge, so that you can get the best out of your time here.
DAY 4: Champagne - Luxembourg - Heidelberg
This morning we’ll depart Paris and head east to our first stop in the champagne region, where we’ll enjoy a tasting of one of France’s most famous and highly prized exports - champagne! We’ll then continue our journey on to Luxembourg, where you’ll have some free time to explore the capital of one of Europe’s smallest countries; Luxembourg City features a charming Unesco-listed centre with plenty of restuarants and cafés. Our final destination of the day is Heidelberg, Germany’s oldest university town which is renowned for its Altstadt (old town), ruined Renaissance hilltop castle and romantic riverside cityscape.
DAY 5: Black Forest - Rhine Falls - Lucerne region
This morning we head into the heart of Germany’s Schwarzwald (Black Forest), home of delicious Black Forest gâteau, cuckoo clocks and Hansel and Gretel! For those travellers wishing to buy an authentic German cuckoo clock, we’ll make a quick stop at a local family business in the heart of the forest. Arriving on the shores of Lake Titisee, you’ll have some free time to explore the spa town of Titisee and grab some lunch. We’ll then cross into Switzerland and stop off at the stunning Rhine Falls, the largest plain waterfall in Europe. You’ll have some time to explore, with the option to take a boat ride on the falls. On arrival in Lucerne your tour leader will give you a quick orientation tour to introduce you to the city, before we travel on to our accommodation on the shores of Lake Lucerne.
DAY 6: Lucerne - Free day
Today you’ll have a free day to enjoy the Lucerne region. Renowned as one of Switzerland's most beautiful cities, Lucerne is one place you'll definitely want to have your camera at the ready for! All the ingredients for the quintessentially picturesque Swiss experience are here - a cobalt lake and well-preserved old-town complete with waterfront promenades, covered bridges and perfect plazas is surrounded by the natural skyscrapers of the Swiss Alps. It's really no wonder that Goethe, Queen Victoria and Wagner savoured the stunning views that Lucerne has to offer. There's charm and grace around every corner, but it's not all about history - there's certainly enough of a pulse here to keep things current, with carnivals, concerts and exhibitions aplenty.
DAY 7: Liechtenstein - Neuschwanstein Castle - Innsbruck
Four countries in one day! Our first stop is the Alpine principality of Liechtenstein, the sixth-smallest nation in the world. Stopping in the capital Vaduz, we'll have some time to stroll around and enjoy the scenery. We’ll then visit Neuschwanstein Castle, a 19th Century German hilltop castle built by Ludwig II of Bavaria, and the inspiration for the famous Disneyland castle. Entrance to the castle is included in the tour package price. Our final destination of the day is Innsbruck, Austria. Home to Austria's third-largest student population, there's no shortage of vibrant bars and beer gardens to enjoy.
DAY 8: Modena - Siena
This morning we head south into Italy. One of the most visited destinations in the world, Italy serves up centuries of incredible history, rich culture and, of course, fantastic food! As we make our way to Siena we'll stop in Modena, where you'll enjoy a tasting of balsamic vinegar. Arriving in Siena this afternoon , your tour leader will take you on a short orientation tour of the historic city centre, and you'll then have some free time to take photos before we enjoy an included dinner at a restaurant on Piazza del Campo, the main public square.
DAY 9: Pisa - Florence - Siena
Today we’ll explore the undoubted highlights of Tuscany; Pisa and Florence! Now over 800 years old, the Leaning Tower of Pisa is a classic sight in Italy and well worth a visit to get a few shots of one of Italy's most famous icons. On arrival in Florence, we’ll take a guided walking tour of the city accompanied by an expert local guide, who will introduce you to all the sights, including Ponte Vecchio, Florence Cathedral and the Basilica of Santa Croce. You’ll then have some free time to explore - why not see Michelangelo’s David in the Galleria dell'Accademia? This evening we’ll return to our accommodation near Siena.
DAY 10: End of tour in Rome
Your tour today finishes upon arrival in Rome; make sure that you have swapped numbers with your fellow travellers, before you part ways!
This tour includes no Rome hotel accommodation and forms the first half of the full-length Best of Europe 22-day tour, which starts and finishes in London - click here to see the full tour. There is an optional post-tour add-on to extend the Best of Western Europe tour with a 2-night post-tour stay in Rome - please see the 'Optional Excursions' tab in our Help Section for more information.
- 9 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 9 breakfasts, 4 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 14 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Paris + Tour
- River Seine Cruise
- Cabaret Show
- Montparnasse Observation Deck
- An Evening in Montmartre
- Rome Add-on
- Rhine Falls Cruise
- Mount Pilatus & Lake Lucerne
- Taste of Tuscany
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts in London and finishes in Rome. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can we start/finish the tour in Europe?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).