USA West Coast Explorer
Show us the lower price and we'll do more than match it, we'll beat it! Learn More
Itching to discover the West Coast of America? Join us for a road trip where the fun just never stops! Travel from LA, adventure through San Diego and cross over to the state of Arizona. Experience the vast open spaces of the Sonoran Desert. Take in the sheer beauty of the Grand Canyon - one of the most humbling natural attractions. Drive along Route 66, the ultimate American experience. Discover the glitz of Las Vegas for contrast and good old American glamour. Get adventurous in the national parks of Death Valley and Yosemite. Sip on American wine in Napa Valley and cross the Golden Gate bridge of San Francisco, The Golden City.
Photos of the Tour
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- All accommodation has free WiFi & air-conditioning.
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $110.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
Los Angeles, 06:30 hrs
Los Angeles, 20:00 hrs
DAY 1: Los Angeles, CA - San Diego, CA
After meeting up in the morning, we immediately make our way from Los Angeles for San Diego. San Diego is the southernmost city in California located just outside the border with Mexico. It’s often referred to as the birthplace of California and is one of America’s finest cities. On arrival, we embark on a sightseeing tour to see the notable spots of San Diego. The tour includes visits to The Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park and Old Town San Diego. With its close proximity to Mexico and the Pacific Ocean, San Diego offers the perfect mix between relaxing beach scenes, history, art, architecture and great food. One thing is for sure, the nachos here are delicious. Enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure and watch the sun set over the Pacific ocean.
DAY 2: San Diego, CA - Sonoran Desert, AZ - Scottsdale, AZ - Phoenix, AZ
This morning we cross the border from California to Arizona as we drive through the pristine expanses of the Sonoran Desert. The scenery is straight out of a picture book! This afternoon we arrive in Phoenix, Arizona located in the northeastern corner of the Sonoran Desert. Head out for a tour of Old Town Scottsdale for a proper glimpse of the most western town in the West! Imagine sheriffs with badges, saloons and some cowboy charm. Spend the evening exploring the city at your own pace.
DAY 3: Phoenix, AZ - Grand Canyon National Park, AZ - Williams, AZ
Gear up for the Grand Canyon National Park! This morning we leave Phoenix behind and make for Arizona's most famous attraction. The Grand Canyon is the biggest canyon on earth, stretching over 277 miles (446 km) long and about a mile (1.6km) deep. It has some of the oldest exposed rock in the world and is over 1,7 billion years old. No wonder Theodore Roosevelt said, "In the Grand Canyon, Arizona has a natural wonder which is in kind absolutely unparalleled throughout the rest of the world." Explore the park this afternoon, before heading to our hotel located on the historic Route 66.
DAY 4: Williams, AZ - Route 66 - Oatman, AZ - Las Vegas, NV
After breakfast, set off on the most famous road in America, Route 66. This famous highway crosses 8 states and 3 time zones! First stop of the day is the famous Hackberry General Store. Now a museum commemorating the old Route 66, the store started as a filling station in the 1930s. This is the best spot to buy Route 66 memorabilia and souvenirs. Then, stop to explore the old mining town of Oatman - one of Arizona’s most famous ghost towns. Oatman is like a classic 1880s Western movie. Walk around an authentic western town with old wooden buildings, dusty streets and feed the burros (donkeys) that roam the streets. Explore the Oatman Hotel, antiques stores, eateries and ice cream parlour. The drive this afternoon takes you all the way to Las Vegas. On arrival, take an evening driving tour of Las Vegas Boulevard, the world famous Strip.
DAY 5: Las Vegas, NV - Free day
Today you have a full day to explore Las Vegas as you please. More than 41 million travellers visit Vegas each year and it's easy to see why. This bustling city is home to more than half of the world's largest hotels and 150+ casinos. Not to mention all the theatres and live performance venues.
DAY 6: Las Vegas, NV - Death Valley National Park, CA - Mammoth Lakes, CA
Leaving shiny Las Vegas behind, take the road back to California. Death Valley is a national park where some of the highest temperatures EVER have been recorded. We stop at Badwater basin to see the iconic salt flats & take photos as a viewpoint. Drive through the most stunning landscapes to our destination for this evening: Mammoth Lakes. Overnight on the edge of the Sierra National Forest overlooking the stunning Sierra Nevada mountains.
DAY 7: Mammoth Lakes, CA - Yosemite National Park, CA - Mariposa, CA
Travel the scenic Tioga Pass that takes you through the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains. Stop and explore Mono Lake - an ancient saline lake located at the edge of the Nevada mountains. The road takes you all the way to the Yosemite National Park - a natural wonder with waterfalls, meadows, giant trees and granite monoliths. The name “Yos.s.e'meti” originally referred to the Indian tribe that lived in Yosemite Valley. Make the most of your time here and head out one of the short hiking trails. If you don’t feel like hiking, however, there’s no need to break a sweat. Simply take advantage of the free shuttle busses with stops at the major sites of interest.
DAY 8: Mariposa, CA - Napa Valley, CA - San Francisco, CA
This morning we head for the wine region of California, stopping off in the Napa Valley wine region. The Napa county is known for its hundreds of vineyards, fine wine estates and natural beauty. Visit a winery to taste American wine and have some free time in the quaint town of Napa. After lunch, we head for San Francisco and cross the Golden Gate bridge on the way. Welcome to San Francisco!
DAY 9: San Francisco, CA - Free day
Start the day with an orientation tour of the city to get a feel of the main attractions. The day is then yours to explore San Francisco in whichever way you please. Visit the iconic Golden Gate bridge, ride a cable car, visit Alcatraz or get lost along streets lined with Victorian buildings. There are also gorgeous places to eat, and the nightlife is legendary. San Francisco has a magic you'll find nowhere else; so set out to experience it to the full.
DAY 10: San Francisco, CA - Los Angeles, CA
You can choose to end your tour here in San Francisco or join us for the drive back to Los Angeles. The scenic route takes us along California’s epic Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). Take a stop at Bixby Bridge, one of the most photographed spots in California. Then it’s onwards to Los Angeles, where your epic American road trip comes to an end this evening.
- 9 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 9 breakfasts, 0 lunches, 0 dinners
- Local taxes and fees
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 16 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- To be confirmed
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get great value rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
Most nationalities will require a pre-arranged visa or Electronic System for Travel Authorization's (ESTA's) for this tour. Please see our visas page for more information. It is your responsibility to contact the relevant embassy to confirm your visa requirements. Where a visa is required Expat Explore can provide support documentation upon request - please contact us for more information.
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of the activities and meals that are included in the tour cost, and those which are optional/extra. We would recommend budgeting $50-75 per day (this excludes optional excursions, see the essential tour information page for details and prices).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts and finishes in Los Angeles, California. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have at least two blank pages as visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed on your tours?
Are flights included?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Do I need a visa?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have on-tour luggage storage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on the tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
What about room sharing & single supplements?
What is included in the tour price
What is the average age of your groups?
What level of fitness do I need to participate in these tours?
What time does each day start on tour?
Where does my tour depart from?
Who will be my tour leader?
Will I get confirmation of my payment?
- Why this Trip
- What's Included
- Departure Dates
- Pre-Trip Info
- Q & A