Show us the lower price and we'll do more than match it, we'll beat it! Learn More
Christmas in Great Britain is a magical thing. On this group tour, we'll take you through awe-inspiring landscapes to must-see historical destinations. Encounter Stonehenge, Hadrian's Wall, York and Bath. Make your way through the Scottish Highlands, Lake District and along Loch Ness. Dine in a pub and drink a dram with the locals. Experience Liverpool, the home of the Beatles. And see Shakespeare's house! Christmas Day we spend in Edinburgh, in the midst of Scottish Yuletide festivities. It's a beautiful journey through a gorgeous country. A must for all avid adventurers.
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Services of your Expat Explore tour leader.
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $110.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
Greenwich train station, 06:30 hrs
Holiday Inn Express Hotel Greenwich, 07:00 hrs
Greenwich train station , 17:00 hrs – 19:30 hrs
DAY 1: Cambridge - York
Welcome to your Christmas tour of Great Britain! Today you will fill your lungs with fresh, English countryside air, as you depart the city of London, and head to where the grass is greener. Arriving in Cambridge, your first adventure will have you punting along the river in traditional style, taking in the stunning scenery and epic, historical buildings in the most relaxing way. Simply wonderful! The afternoon sees you continuing your rural ‘rovering’, towards York, a mecca for history buffs and lovers of fine architecture and culture. Your walking tour offers fascinating insights, stories and history of the city. Tonight you will enjoy dinner in a traditional British pub - plenty of choices on the menu including English favourites such as Fish and Chips or Bangers and Mash (that's sausages and creamy mashed potatoes)!
DAY 2: Hadrian's Wall - Gretna Green - Scottish Highlands
This morning we carry on heading north to the iconic Scottish Highlands. Our first stop along the way is Hadrian's Wall, a defensive fortification constructed by emperor Hadrian across the final frontier of the Roman Empire in what was then the Roman province of Britannia. We'll then travel on to Gretna Green, a beautiful historic village in southern Scotland that is one of the world's most popular wedding destinations. This evening we'll arrive at our hotel in the Scottish Highlands and enjoy an included dinner.
DAY 3: Glen Coe - Loch Ness - Edinburgh
If the weathers clear you may catch a sight of Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles, as we make our way to Glencoe, a spectacular Glen (Scottish for a deep valley in the Highlands) and where the massacre of Glencoe took place in 1692, one of the most fascinating yet saddest stories encompassing Scotland’s history. As we travel on to Edinburgh, we'll make a photo stop at Loch Ness - home to ‘Nessie’ the Loch Ness Monster; join the optional cruise excursion and see if you can spot her! On arrival in Edinburgh we'll check in to our hotel and then depart for a driving tour to help you get your bearings for the city and plan your free day tomorrow.
DAY 4: Christmas in Edinburgh - Free day
Merry Christmas! Today you are free to explore the city as you wish, and there is so much to see and do. Known as the cultural capital of Scotland, Edinburgh is blessed with stunning greystone and gothic architecture. Take a step back in time and wander around the unchanged cobbled streets of the Royal Mile and meander down to the Grass Market, to a row of pubs where public hangings used to ‘entertain’ the crowds. You will also enjoy an included festive dinner this afternoon - time to enjoy some of that legendary Scottish hospitality!
DAY 5: Lake District - Liverpool
As your heart sinks at the thought of leaving Scotland, be reassured that there are exciting adventures to be had today in England! Your Great Britain tour will take a twist into modern history, as you head across the border, bound for Liverpool - the home of The Beatles and two world-famous premier league football clubs! On the way, you can soak up the last of the Scottish landscape, before reaching the picturesque Lake District for a lunch stop – the views are simply stunning! We then arrive in Liverpool late afternoon, where you will have the evening free to explore. Upon checking in at the hotel, head to one of the many local pubs for dinner. For Beatles fans, there are a myriad of locations that were significant to developing the world-class pop act, which shaped modern music as we know it. Home to Paul, John, George and Ringo, Liverpool inspired such timeless classics including ‘Strawberry Fields’ and ‘Penny Lane’. The Beatles played hundreds of shows at the Cavern Club, the perfect place to enjoy your time in Liverpool.
DAY 6: Stratford-Upon-Avon - Wales
This morning, we will take a driving tour of Liverpool, where you will be shown the sights, before we venture on to the birthplace of William Shakespeare - Stratford-upon-Avon. There are numerous Shakespearean attractions and fascinating historical locations to visit. Sliding into south Wales, we take a photo stop at Caerphilly Castle, a medieval fortification built in the 13th Century, ranked the second largest castle in the UK. Surrounded by artificial lakes, not only is the architecture a sight to behold, but it was also a ground-breaking design back in its day. Heading onwards to the Welsh capital of Cardiff, you have an evening in which to enjoy the local nightlife on offer.
DAY 7: Bath - Stonehenge - London
This is the last day of your British Tour, and there is no sign of slowing down! First stop for the day is Bath – a UNESCO World Heritage Site featuring some of the finest architecture in Europe. Join us on an orientation tour of the town, and learn about the historical significance of the region, including the natural hot springs that supply the Roman baths - visited by over 1 million international tourists every year! Continuing on the last legs of your journey, you have an optional excursion that could have you unravelling one of the worlds’ greatest mysteries. At Stonehenge, you have the opportunity to witness an ancient and awe-inspiring structure, which has baffled scientists, tourists and historians for centuries. We arrive back in London this evening at the end of a fantastic week of exploring Great Britain!
- 6 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 6 breakfasts, 4 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 16 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Shakespeare's House
- Roman Baths
- Loch Ness Cruise
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get great value rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts and finishes in London. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).
Should I tip the tour leader and driver, and if so, how much?
What about room sharing & single supplements?
What happens if I forget or lose my passport?
What happens if I miss the coach during the tour?
What happens if my visa gets rejected?
What is included in the tour price?
What is the average age of your groups?
What kind of accommodation do you use on your tours?
What level of fitness do I need to participate in these tours?
What time do the tours depart and when will I be back?
What time does each day start on tour?
Who will be my tour leader?
Will I get confirmation of my payment?
Will there be an opportunity to do laundry on tour?
- Why this Trip
- What's Included
- Departure Dates
- Pre-Trip Info
- Q & A