If you’re looking for ideas for winter holidays this year, the Great Britain New Year coach trip is sure to give you the ultimate end to the year! Expat Explore takes you on a memorable tour through England, Wales and Scotland, on a New Year’s travel adventure. Join us as we wind down the year in true adventure-seeking style!
Starting in England, you will have the chance to see iconic landmarks such as Cambridge, Yorkshire, Liverpool and Stratford-Upon-Avon. You will them continue into Scotland, spending New Year’s Eve in the incredible capital city of Edinburgh. Hogmanay, as the year-end is called in this part of the world, is all about celebration on epic scale. Spending the final night of the year in Scotland’s great city is sure to be an event you will not forget in a hurry! You’ll also get a free day here to explore at leisure, before the coach tour continues into Wales. Here, you will visit the capital of Cardiff, before returning back to England, via Bath.
Catering to singles, couples and families from all over the world, the Great Britain NY tour has something for everyone to enjoy. Included in the tour is 6 nights’ accommodation, along with breakfasts and some other meals, 13 amazing experiences that include walking tours, driving tours and other activities to enhance your travel experience, as well as the services of our super helpful tour leader.
This tour travels on a luxury coach bus that is fully equipped with toilet, entertainment systems and air-conditioner, to ensure that your time spent on the road is as comfortable as possible. Book now to take advantage of our winter holidays early bird specials. Even if you are booking your winter vacation well into the year, we offer regular last minute specials and deals that will always help you save.
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Massive early bird savings
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: Cambridge - York
Welcome to your tour of Great Britain! Today you will fill your lungs with fresh, English countryside air, as you depart the city of London, and head to where the grass is greener. Arriving in Cambridge, your first adventure will have you punting along the river in traditional style, taking in the stunning scenery and epic, historical buildings in the most relaxing way. Simply wonderful! The afternoon sees you continuing your rural ‘rovering’, towards York, a mecca for history buffs and lovers of fine architecture and culture. Your walking tour offers fascinating insights, stories and history of the city. Tonight you will enjoy dinner in a traditional English pub - plenty of choices on the menu including English favourites such as Fish and Chips or Bangers and Mash (that's sausages and creamy mashed potatoes)!
DAY 2: Hadrian's Wall - Gretna Green - Scottish Highlands
This morning we carry on heading north to the iconic Scottish Highlands. Our first stop along the way is Hadrian's Wall, a defensive fortification constructed by emperor Hadrian across the final frontier of the Roman Empire in what was then the Roman province of Britannia. We'll then travel on to Gretna Green, a beautiful historic village in southern Scotland that is one of the world's most popular wedding destinations. This evening we'll arrive at our hotel in the Scottish Highlands and enjoy an included dinner.
DAY 3: Glen Coe - Loch Ness - New Year's Eve in Edinburgh
If the weathers clear you may catch a sight of Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles, as we make our way to Glencoe, a spectacular Glen (Scottish for a deep valley in the Highlands) and where the massacre of Glencoe took place in 1692, one of the most fascinating yet saddest stories encompassing Scotland’s history. As we travel on to Edinburgh, we'll make a photo stop at Loch Ness - home to ‘Nessie’ the Loch Ness Monster; join the optional cruise excursion and see if you can spot her! On arrival in Edinburgh we'll check in to our hotel and then depart for a driving tour to help you get your bearings for the city and plan your free day tomorrow. It is then time to celebrate Hogmonay (the Scots word for the last day of the year) and ring in the New Year!
DAY 4: Edinburgh - Free day
Don’t waste a minute! Today you are free to explore the city as you wish, and there is so much to see and do. Edinburgh is blessed with stunning greystone and gothic architecture, art galleries and memorials. Take a step back in time and wander through the cobbled streets of the Royal Mile and meander down to the Grass Market, to a row of pubs where public hangings used to ‘entertain’ the crowds. Edinburgh Castle is well worth the entry fee, and requires a few hours to explore and learn about Scottish history and royalty - there are wonderful views from the top! For those wishing to shop for souvenirs Princes Street attracts shoppers from all over the world. In the evening, why not enjoy a pint or a traditional whisky with the locals, or explore the city on a guided Ghost tour - experience the secret, underground passages underneath the streets of the Royal Mile, and visit the local graveyards under the ‘brawd bricht moon licht nicht’ (superb, bright, moonlit night...)!
DAY 5: Lake District - Liverpool
As your heart sinks at the thought of leaving Scotland, be reassured that there are exciting adventures to be had today in England! Your Great Britain tour will take a twist into modern history, as you head across the border, bound for Liverpool - the home of The Beatles and two world-famous premier league football clubs! On the way, you can soak up the last of the Scottish landscape, before reaching the picturesque Lake District for a lunch stop – the views are simply stunning! We then arrive in Liverpool late afternoon, where you will have the evening free to explore. Upon checking in at the hotel, head to one of the many local pubs for dinner. For Beatles fans, there are a myriad of locations that were significant to developing the world-class pop act, which shaped modern music as we know it. Home to Paul, John, George and Ringo, Liverpool inspired such timeless classics including ‘Strawberry Fields’ and ‘Penny Lane’. The Beatles played hundreds of shows at the Cavern Club, the perfect place to enjoy your time in Liverpool.
DAY 6: Stratford-Upon-Avon - Wales
This morning, we will take a driving tour of Liverpool, where you will be shown the sights, before we venture on to the birthplace of William Shakespeare - Stratford-upon-Avon. An orientation tour will allow you to explore the quaint, historical village, and then you shall have free time to explore on your own. Sliding into south Wales, we take a photo stop at Caerphilly Castle, a medieval fortification built in the 13th Century, ranked the second largest castle in the UK. Surrounded by artificial lakes, not only is the architecture a sight to behold, but it was also a ground-breaking design back in its day. Heading onwards to the Welsh capital of Cardiff, you have an evening in which to enjoy the local nightlife on offer.
DAY 7: Bath - Stonehenge - London
This is the last day of your British Tour, and there is no sign of slowing down! First stop for the day is Bath – a UNESCO World Heritage Site featuring some of the finest architecture in Europe. Join us on an orientation tour of the town, and learn about the historical significance of the region, including the natural hot springs that supply the Roman baths - visited by over 1 million international tourists every year! Continuing on the last legs of your journey, you have an optional excursion that could have you unravelling one of the worlds’ greatest mysteries. At Stonehenge, you have the opportunity to witness an ancient and awe-inspiring structure, which has baffled scientists, tourists and historians for centuries. We arrive back in London this evening at the end of a fantastic week of exploring Great Britain!
- 6 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 6 breakfasts, 4 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 17 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Shakespeare's House
- Roman Baths
- The Beatles Story & Museum
- Loch Ness Cruise
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts and finishes in London. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).