Rome to London
Our Rome to London holiday tours are popular all year round, and it's easy to see why with just a glimpse at the itinerary we've put together for this 10 day escape. Whether you're looking for a little romance in the Italian capital, some time to relax in the sun, or even take in some snow in the Swiss Alps, there is something here for everyone.
Our travellers come from all over the world, so we make sure that our tour packages from Rome to London cater for all. You begin in the heart of Italy and gradually work your way north and west as your trip takes you from Rome to London, Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, and Brussels, before concluding in London.
Optional outings include an excursion to the world's smallest country, Vatican City, as well as a train to the renowned Jungfraujoch in the Swiss Alps. The views here are spectacular, so be sure to have your cameras at the ready; you won't want to miss this stunning photo opportunity. And, if you enjoy the occasional adventure on your own, you can use these outings and other free days to explore whatever interests you most on holiday.
We have guaranteed departure dates that allow you to plan your holidays far in advance, with massive early bird savings available. And best of all, we've got free Wi-Fi in our hotels on all of our tour packages from Rome to London. So, whether you're hundreds or thousands of miles from home, you'll still be able to keep in contact with your family throughout the trip, and make them jealous with all the fabulous photos you've snapped long before you return home.
Please note this tour forms the second leg of our Europe Explorer tour.
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Massive early bird savings
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: Arrive in Rome
Arrive in Rome and make your own way to our accommodation for the start of the tour, and join up with your Expat Explore tour leader and fellow travellers at midday. We'll take the subway into the city centre to meet up with our local guide, who will introduce us to the incredible history of this unique city on a guided walking tour. Rome reigned supreme as the focal point of the Roman Empire, and the local guide will introduce us to highlights such as the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, the Roman Forum and of course the Colosseum.
DAY 2: Rome - Free day
Rome boasts ancient ruins, historical landmarks, religious buildings and a buzzing atmosphere like no other. The Colosseum is spectacular, offering fabulous views of the city, and an unbelievable feeling of drifting backwards in time, to when gladiators, chariots and lions dominated the arena. For those who wish to enter, your tour leader can organise a tour of the Colosseum and Roman Forum with a local guide. Later this afternoon you'll have the opportunity to take advantage of an optional excursion to visit the Vatican City - the smallest country in the world! Inside the walls you can visit the Sistine Chapel and see for yourself the famous ceiling painted by Michelangelo, as well as numerous other famous art pieces dotted around the buildings.
DAY 3: Siena - Venice
Our first stop is the Tuscan town of Siena, which is famous for its cuisine, wine, art, museums, medieval cityscape and the Palio, a horse race held twice a year. You will have time to explore before we continue on our journey. Later, we arrive into Venice in the early evening, a city immortalised in literature, film and art for centuries. Its timeless waterways and artistic masterpieces (more per square kilometre than anywhere else on earth) make it truly unique – this is a city that will capture your heart and imagination. Being Italian, there’s no shortage of incredible food and culture either! You have the evening free to relax at the hotel, or explore Venice with the option to join your tour leader on a twilight water taxi cruise of the Venetian canals.
DAY 4: Venice
You’ll start your stay in Venice with an orientation tour led by your tour leader so you can get your bearings, after which you have free time to explore this unforgettable city at your leisure. Every visit to Venice should include a gondola ride, which your tour leader can organise for you, as well as a trip further out into the lagoon to visit Murano and Burano. These islands are famous for their glass-blowing and lace-making crafts respectively, and rows of beautiful multi-coloured houses. Alternatively you can simply relax and soak up the sun on the sandy beaches at Jesolo or Lido. There’s also St Mark’s Square, The Bridge of Sighs and the Doge’s Palace to see – and any number of culinary delights to sample too!
DAY 5: Bellinzona - Swiss Alps
Crossing the border into Switzerland, we stop off in Bellinzona, a beautiful city in the foot of the Swiss Alps famous for its three UNESCO World Heritage Site castles. You'll have some free time for lunch and to visit one of the castles if you wish. We continue on to the Swiss Alps, climbing higher into the mountains to our accommodation in a typical Swiss mountain village in the Jungfrau region. One of the most popular alpine destinations, it’s a great introduction to the magic of the mountains – and makes for a memorable drive too. Dinner is at your hotel and afterwards relax, drink , chat with your fellow explorers and grab an early night as tomorrow you can join us on our most popular optional excursion – Jungfraujoch, the Top of Europe!
DAY 6: Swiss Alps - Free day
Enjoy a free day to explore and take in the spectacular local scenery. One of the ‘must see’ highlights of this tour is to take the optional excursion train ride to the ‘Top of Europe’ – Jungfraujoch. The views will leave you breathless (and that isn’t just because of the high altitude!) This 4000m glacier has a beauty all of its own, and the combination of ice, snow, rock and epic views will stay with you for life. There is snow all year round, even in the middle of summer!
DAY 7: Black Forest - Rhine Valley
Departing from the Swiss Alps the road leads us to Germany’s Black Forest. Have your camera at the ready as you drive past beautiful rivers and forested hills and valleys. Our lunch stop is in Baden-Baden, famous for its thermal baths and casino, with some free time to explore and have lunch. Then we’ll drive on to the Rhine Valley, where we’ll hop aboard a Rhine riverboat for a cruise past castles, vineyards and picturesque villages. After the cruise you’ll be treated to an included wine tasting led by a local wine merchant. If the harvest has been good, you may even get to try eiswein (ice wine), a very sweet dessert wine during the freezing winter months and produced in only very small quantities. For travellers looking to buy souvenirs, you’ll have the chance to pick up authentic examples of cuckoo clocks and beer steins today.
DAY 8: Rhine Valley - Amsterdam
The Netherlands is our next stop, and we arrive first at the windmill for a quick photo stop. Afterwards enjoy a traditional cheese-making demonstration, and learn about how that most quirky and quaint of footwear choices – the clog – is made, before travelling onward to Amsterdam. Here we’ll check in to our hotel before joining a complimentary Amsterdam canal cruise! Watch the city drift past as you sail by, and listen out for tips and interesting insights into the city from your tour leader. The evening is yours - explore the canals and Dam Square, and enjoy your time in this fascinating city.
DAY 9: Amsterdam - Free day
The day is yours to further explore Amsterdam. There is so much on offer, from visiting Anne Frank’s house and the Van Gogh museum, to taking a canal boat cruise.
DAY 10: Bruges - London
After breakfast, it’s back to London, stopping en route for a short comfort stop in the medieval city of Bruges that is famous for many things... including beer and chocolates!
- 9 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 9 breakfasts, 4 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 6 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Train to Jungfraujoch
- Heineken Experience
- Amsterdam Dungeon
- White-Water River Rafting
- Vatican City guided tour
- Trip T-shirt or Hoodie
- Madame Tussauds
- Colosseum & Roman Forum Guided Tour
- Swiss Dinner
- Venice Gondola Ride
- Murano, Burano & Venetian lagoon
- Venice by night
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary above for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, all rooms are twin bed as standard.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour start in Rome and finish in London. Please have a look at our essential tour help page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).