Experience the highlights of eastern Europe over 11 incredible days on our Best of Eastern Europe Rome to London coach tour. Starting in the Italian capital, the first destination you'll visit is the beautiful islands of the Venetian Lagoon. We'll then make our way into Eastern Europe, visiting many of the regions capital cities; Ljubljana in Slovenia, Zagreb in Croatia, Budapest in Hungary, Bratislava in Slovakia, Vienna in Austria, Prague in the Czech Republic, Berlin in Germany and Amsterdam in the Netherlands!
As with all Expat Explore coach tours, this tour is a guaranteed departure, and you will be accompanied for the duration by an experienced and passionate tour leader. Our tour busses are modern, comfortable and air conditioned, and at each hotel we include free wi-fi in your tour package so you can stay connected and share all your incredible photos and memories with your friends and family while on tour!
Please note this tour forms the second leg of our Best of Europe tour.
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Massive early bird savings
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: Arrive in Rome - Venice
This morning meet your Expat Explore tour leader and other travellers for the start of your tour. Once we've met up we'll leave the churches and basilicas of Rome behind, and head to the canals of Venice! On arrival we’ll take an orientation walking tour with your Expat Explore tour leader, who will show you the sights including the Rialto Bridge and St Marks Square. You’ll also have the option to explore Venice the traditional way - from the canals on a gondola ride, which gives you a completely different perspective and appreciation for the amazing structure of this unique destination.
This tour includes no Rome hotel accommodation and forms the second half of the full-length Best of Europe 22-day tour, which starts and finishes in London - click here to see the full tour. There is an optional pre-tour add-on available on the Best of Eastern Europe tour which includes a 2-night pre-tour stay in Rome - please see the 'Optional Excursions' tab in our Help Section for more information.
DAY 2: Ljubljana - Zagreb
Our first destination of the day is a comfort stop in the Slovenian capital Ljubljana. Often thought of as a hidden gem of Europe, its castles, stunning architecture and natural beauty mean it packs a punch more powerful than its small size would suggest. We then drive on to Zagreb; Croatia’s capital offers an interesting mix of Hapsburg and Communist architecture. We'll check into the hotel and have some time to freshen up before the included dinner this evening.
DAY 3: Zagreb - Budapest
Today we’ll cross into Hungary and head for the capital, Budapest. Cited as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, it straddles the historic Danube River and boasts numerous UNESCO World Heritage Sites - its natural geo-thermal springs are a highlight. Enjoy a driving tour of the city, and then use your free time this evening to explore, or join our optional excursion to the Széchenyi Medicinal Bath, one of the most famous icons of the city and Europe’s largest medicinal bath.
DAY 4: Bratislava - Vienna
Moving on to the Slovakian capital, Bratislava! Located in a country dominated by mountains, vineyards, ski runs and wilderness, Bratislava is a charming city. Here you’ll find medieval castles overlooking the old town, along with more recent Socialist-era architecture. Early afternoon we’ll make our way to Vienna, where a local guide will take us on a walking and driving tour of the Austrian capital. As a centre for art and culture in Europe for centuries, Vienna was host to some of the world’s leading musical minds at one time or another – including luminaries like Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. But along with its classical heritage, magnificent concert halls, palaces and museums, Vienna is also a modern city, with a vibrant café, restaurant and nightlife culture.
DAY 5: Vienna - Free day
Enjoy a free day to explore Vienna! Awash with imperial splendour, Vienna was once the centre of the powerful Habsburg monarchy, which dominated central Europe from the 16th-18th centuries. History fans should check out the incredible palaces of the era - Schönbrunn Palace and the Belvedere.
DAY 6: Prague
Today we’re off to the Czech Republic! Prague is a beautiful city, boasting elaborate baroque, gothic, art nouveau and cubist architecture, and rewarding those who explore it with quirky bars, cobbled lanes and secluded courtyards. Known for its brilliant beer and abundance of history, any exploration of Prague will be a rewarding one. A local guide will take us on a walking tour and introduce us to the must-see sights including the Old Town Square, Wenceslas Square, St. Vitus Cathedral and the Charles Bridge, before you have a free afternoon to explore more at your own pace.
DAY 7: Dresden - Berlin
Our first destination today is a lunch stop in the German city of Dresden. Virtually rebuilt from the ground up after bombing attacks in WW2 destroyed the city centre, Dresden is immaculate and stylish. Try some of the local German food - such as Bratwurst, and have a wander around the beautifully paved streets. We’ll then carry on to the capital of Germany, Berlin. Your tour leader will introduce you to the city on a driving tour - visiting such poignant locations as the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe and Checkpoint Charlie.
DAY 8: Berlin - Free day
Enjoy a free day to further explore the history of the German capital. The Berlin Wall stands as a sombre reminder of the controls imposed on Berlin during and after WW2, however the bright street art that adorns it today seems to give it a peaceful purpose. Berlin also offers numerous free museums and galleries to visit, which all contribute to the understanding of this city's modern history.
DAY 9: Berlin - Amsterdam
This morning, we’ll say our goodbyes to Germany as we journey on to the Netherlands, where you will notice the landscape change to windmills and waterways, as you approach the city of Amsterdam. This evening we’ll enjoy a canal cruise, which includes dinner and is accompanied by interesting commentary about the cities development and history. After seeing the bridges and city from the waterside it’s time for your Expat Explore tour leader to take you on an included walking tour of the infamous Red Light District. Afterwards, you are free to hit the cafés, bars and coffee shops!
DAY 10: Dutch countryside tour - Free afternoon in Amsterdam
The morning begins with an entertaining demonstration, showing how traditional Dutch clogs are made by hand, followed by a demonstration in local cheese making. There is time to pop some clogs on, and taste the cheesy treats. Your next stop for the day is to the historical windmill village of Zaanse Schans, where you will discover how they were vital to the industrial development of the Netherlands. This is a great chance to get some fabulous photos! A visit to the quaint sea side village of Volendam allows you to stretch your legs, wander the main street filled with cafes and local nick-nacks and admire the sprawling views. We'll then head back into the centre of the city with a drop off mid-afternoon, with the rest of the day free to explore Amsterdam at your own pace. There are numerous museums and art galleries to choose from - why not visit Anne Frank’s house, the Van Gough museum, take a bicycle tour or simply wander the streets and canals?
DAY 11: Bruges - London
After your Amsterdam adventure, you have one more stop before you set off for the UK. The Belgian city of Bruges is small but picturesque, with breathtaking architecture and a wonderful personality. Described as the ‘Venice of the North’, take some time to stretch your legs and indulge in a spot of sightseeing. After your visit, you will then be on your way back to London, crossing the English Channel on the way. This is the perfect time to exchange contact details with new friends and travel buddies as you prepare to disembark in the capital. Make sure you upload the highlights of your Best of Europe tour onto our Facebook page, and we look forward to having you on tour with us again soon.
- 10 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 10 breakfasts, 4 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 13 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Gondola Ride
- Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial
- Amsterdam Dungeon
- Heineken Experience
- Madame Tussauds
- Bratislava Old-Timer ride up to the Castle
- Traditional Czech Folk Music & Dance Evening
- Rome Add-on
- Danube Evening Cruise
- Mozart Concert
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts in Rome and finishes in London. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).