Kruger Safari And The Panorama Route
Are you ready for the wildlife adventure of a lifetime? Come with us as we explore South Africa's most famous national park and introduce you to its untamed wildlife. We'll meet in the City of Gold and make our way straight to the Kruger National Park. Here you will have plenty of time to go on safaris and formal game drives to see the Big 5! Other animals like cheetahs, antelope and wild dogs also abound. You'll sleep in comfortable bush huts and enjoy delicious local food prepared the traditional way. There will also be lots of time to explore by yourself. Next, we're off to the Panorama Route in the Mpumalanga province. Here we will see the Blyde River Canyon and Bourke's Luck potholes. After visiting Graskop, we head back to Johannesburg. Keen travellers can stay on to explore some more, while the others head home. Sound good? Let’s go!
Please note this tour forms the second leg of our South Africa Escape 14-day tour.
Photos of the Tour
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $110.00 required and no booking fees.
- Luxury, modern air-conditioned coach.
- Experienced and passionate tour leader.
- Private game drive and stay at exclusive safari lodge.
- High quality accommodation.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: Johannesburg - Nelspruit
Welcome to South Africa! Meet up with the tour at a hotel close to Johannesburg airport (see the help section for more information), and then travel east to Nelspruit and settle in at the Bundu Lodge on the edge of the Kruger. Did you know that the park is only slightly smaller than the entire country of Belgium? Tonight we'll settle down for a meal under the African sky.
DAY 2: Kruger National Park
We hope you slept well, because today we go on a full-day game drive in the Kruger National Park! The elevated position in the bus makes it very easy to spot animals (if you're really lucky you'll tick off all of the Big Five today!) in the bush. The Kruger is very big and you can see African animals in their natural habitat. Animals you can expect to see include leopards, lions and elephants. There are also cheetahs, wild dogs and rhinos.
Late afternoon we make our way to our safari lodge/hotel on the western edge of the park, where we'll enjoy a multi-night stay. Time for a relaxing swim in the pool and a sun-downer or two before our included dinner this evening!
DAY 3: Kruger National Park - Free day
Today you have the chance to embark from the safari lodge/hotel, led by local wildlife specialists in open safari trucks. Choose a full-day safari drive and spend the day driving in prime game viewing areas, stopping at various waterholes and rest camps. Keep your eyes peeled and your cameras at the ready, watching these stunning animals in the wild is truly an experience to remember. On return to the lodge/hotel, slip into the pool to cool down and relax before enjoying an included dinner.
DAY 4: Kruger National Park - Free day
Today is your second free day to tailor your Kruger experience to your liking. You can go on another half-day, sunset or sunrise safari, or stay at the lodge/hotel and relax by the pool. Tonight is the last time we enjoy dinner at the lodge/hotel. Join us around the fire as we swap safari stories and sip some Amarula. You have to try this local liqueur made from fermented marula fruit!
DAY 5: Three Rondawels - Bourke’s Luck Potholes - Blyde River Canyon Viewpoint - Johannesburg
Today we leave the Kruger behind and head towards the Panorama Route. This is a famous scenic area in South Africa's Mpumalanga province. We visit one of the largest (and oldest!) Boabab trees in the world. Then we head to the Drakensberg escarpment to look out over the Blyde River Canyon from the famous Three Rondavels viewing point. If there ever was an epic view, this is it. Ready your cameras! Afterwards, we go to Bourke's Luck potholes. This natural water feature is made up of literally hundreds of potholes and plunge pools, and marks the start of Blyde River Canyon. Afterwards, we travel back to Johannesburg. Here we'll check in at the hotel, and meet up for farewell dinner and drinks.
DAY 6: Johannesburg: End of tour
And so the last day of your South African wildlife & scenery trip has arrived. We enjoy one last breakfast together to say bon voyage. Guests are welcome to stay on to explore Jozi, as the locals call Johannesburg. If you are flying home today, a complementary airport transfer is offered to take you to Johannesburg airport.
- 5 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 5 breakfasts, 5 dinners
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 5 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Sunset Game Drive
- Half-day Game Drive
- Full-day Game Drive
- Cradle of Humankind and Sterkfontein Caves
- Johannesburg City Tour
- Soweto Half Day Tour
- Soweto Half Day Tour with Lunch
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get great value rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
Certain nationalities may require a visa for this tour. Please see our visas page for more information. It is your responsibility to contact the relevant embassies to confirm your visa requirements. We can provide support documentation upon request, please contact us for more information.
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of the activities and meals that are included in the tour cost, and those which are optional/extra. We would recommend budgeting 200-350 ZAR per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts and finishes in Johannesburg. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have at least two blank pages as visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.