A Balkan travel experience is noticeably different from travelling to anywhere else in Western Europe. The Balkans are home to fascinating history, a mix of distinct cultures (with Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman and Yugoslavian influences) and impressive natural scenery. On this best of the Balkans tour over 16 days, you’ll be able to discover the beauty of this region while experiencing the best of its most popular destinations along with true hidden-gems.
The Balkans tour begins and ends in Athens, Greece. During the tour, you’ll travel through the greater Balkans area, seeing top travel destinations including Dubrovnik and Plitvice Lakes in Croatia and Budapest in Hungary. You’ll also get the chance to visit destinations off the regular tourist track on this 10 country Balkan tour such as North Macedonia, Albania and Bulgaria on this Balkans tour itinerary - it’s a real well-rounded travel experience!
Highlights of this tour of the Balkans include:
- Prepare to have your breath taken away by the natural beauty of the Balkan landscape - see Plitvice Lakes, explore the beach towns of Croatia plus visit the beautiful seaside spots of Kotor and Budva in Montenegro.
- Enjoy free days in the incredibly popular Dubrovnik and Budapest as well as the intriguing Sofia in Bulgaria.
- Embark on locally guided tours of Ljubljana in Slovenia, Lake Ohrid Old Town in North Macedonia and Belgrade in Serbia. Your guide will be able to introduce you to these destinations and share tales about the history, traditions and everyday life.
- Spend time in the historic towns of Mostar, Ljubljana, Tirana, Sofia and experience the mix of influences seen in the unique architecture, culture and cuisine!
- Discover ancient history in Greece with visits to Delphi and almost gravity-defying monasteries in Meteora.
- Love Game of Thrones? Grab your chance to head off on a Game of Thrones walking tour optional in Dubrovnik and see the streets of King’s Landing and the Red Keep!
Is this the right tour for me?
Will there be enough time to spend on my own?
If you are thinking of booking a Balkan private tour, this tour will definitely work for you. With free days in Budapest, Dubrovnik and Sofia plus free time to explore most of the destinations you visit, there is enough time to spend on your own while enjoying the benefits of group travel and escorted tours of the Balkans.
What is the best time to visit the Balkans?
The great thing about the Balkans is that you can visit throughout the year! Spring and Autumn are the best time to visit for outdoor adventures like hikes. It is also slightly quieter on the tourist front with pleasant weather and chances of rain. Summer can become incredibly hot across many Balkan countries - it is beautiful beach weather but keep note that popular cities like Dubrovnik can get crowded. Winter is a wonderful time to visit as festivities take place as the temperature drops. Keep in mind that it will get cold, especially in countries like Serbia, Hungary and Slovenia.
Is it safe to visit the Balkans?
While there were conflicts in the Balkans many years ago, today it is a safe destination to visit. You’ll find all different kinds of travellers here; groups, solo travellers, families, backpackers and more.
Which is the most beautiful Balkan country?
It’s impossible to choose! Croatia, Montenegro and Albania have beautiful coastal regions. Serbia, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina boast beautiful scenery and tangible history. Slovenia and Hungary are home to captivating atmospheres and incredible sites!
See all these wonderful countries with Expat Explore for a fun, affordable and convenient way to travel. Balkans vacation packages showcase a spectacular corner of Europe - adventure definitely awaits on the Balkan Explorer!