Soak up the festive atmosphere in Europe! Over 10 days, enjoy sightseeing in some of the continent's most famous destinations, and celebrate the holiday season in style. Spend Christmas in Paris, then journey to the picturesque Swiss Alps and the Rhine Valley, and then enjoy an unforgettable New Year in Amsterdam! Combine unforgettable experiences in each of our destinations with a celebration you'll never forget. Book your space on our 2016 Christmas and New Year Tour now - seats always sell fast!
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Massive early bird savings
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: London - Paris
Welcome to your European Christmas & New Year tour! Leaving London behind us, we make our way to Paris, crossing the English Channel and arriving in the ‘City of Lights’ in the afternoon. We'll take you on a driving tour of the French capital; get your cameras ready - you’ll be seeing some of the city’s most treasured landmarks, including the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Arc de Triomphe! After the driving tour we'll enjoy dinner at a restaurant in the Latin Quarter, an eclectic, bohemian and historic neighbourhood. We'll then travel back to the hotel on Paris' world famous metro system, ready to explore the city further tomorrow!
DAY 2: Paris (Christmas Day)
It’s Christmas Day! Begin the day with a guided walking tour of the Montmartre area of Paris. As you wander the winding streets where artists including Salvador Dali, Picasso, Monet and Vincent van Gogh lived, you will experience this colourful district of the capital, and see the Moulin Rouge and Sacré-Cœur. Afterwards, relax and enjoy lunch with your fellow travellers at a local restaurant. The rest of the day is yours to spend as you wish. This is the perfect day to explore the Christmas markets, including along the famous Champs Elysees, attend a Christmas church service in the Sacré-Cœur, climb the Eiffel Tower or even visit Disneyland!
DAY 3: Paris - Free day
Join our 'Paris +' optional excursion for a bumper day of Paris sightseeing, as your Expat Explore tour leader accompanies you on an incredible day out in Paris. Your first stop will be a tour of the Fragonard Musée du Parfum, which explores the history of one of France's most famous perfumeries. We'll then visit one of the most famous luxury chocolatiers in Paris, Les Marquis de Laduree, for a tasting. The next stop is the Tuileries garden and a tour of the grounds of the Louvre, including its famous pyramid. You will then join a cruise of the River Seine, for a unique perspective of sights including the Grand Palais, the Louvre and Notre Dame Cathedral. We finish off with a visit to Montparnasse Tower. From the observation deck, you will experience amazing views of the city, including the Eiffel Tower! Celebrate your last evening in Paris with a fantastic cabaret show at one of the top cabaret venues, Paradis Latin. The shows are lively, colourful, and tastefully produced.
DAY 4: Burgundy - Swiss Alps
Au revoir Paris! Today we sample a taste of small town France with a lunch stop in Burgundy. In the town of Beaune you can visit the beautiful Hospices de Beaune, or try the famous wine. After lunch we take a long scenic drive across the border into Switzerland and head towards the Swiss Alps for our stay in a typical mountain village in the heart of the Jungfrau region. This is one of the most-visited regions of the Alps and also a World Heritage site, containing Europe's largest glacier. Welcome to the Swiss Alps, your home for the next two days!
DAY 5: Swiss Alps - Free day
Free day to explore and take in the spectacular scenery of the Swiss Alps. You have two full days available for skiing, snowboarding, sledging or simply having a good old snowball fight! Beginner and experienced ski/snowboard packages are available, with full equipment hire, transport and tuition. You'll be staying in Wilderswil, a beautiful Alpine village with great views of the Jungfrau, Eiger and Monch mountain peaks, which provides a great base for exploring the surrounding towns of Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen.
DAY 6: Swiss Alps - Free day
Your second free day in Switzerland! Don't miss the opportunity to join your Expat Explore tour leader for the train to Jungfraujoch. The journey up the mountain is a highlight in itself, and you shall be shuttled to the highest railway station in the whole of Europe, offering views for miles around on a clear day. This 4000m glacier has a beauty all of its own, and the combination of ice, snow, rock and epic views will stay with you for life. This optional excursion has been voted the number one for the past three years and is a must on your European tour!
DAY 7: Swiss Alps - Rhine Valley
This morning we board the coach once more as we make for Germany’s famous Rhine Valley! Relax on board a Rhine riverboat as we head to our hotel in the heart of the Rhine Valley. This is the most concentrated stretch of castles in all of Europe, and it also features vineyards, charming medieval towns and lofty cliffs. Learn the story of the castles, many of which are now in ruins since the river barons left long ago. Once the cruise is over we'll visit a local wine merchants for an included wine tasting - if the harvest has been good, you may even get to try eiswein (ice wine), a very sweet dessert wine that is produced in very small quantities as it can only be harvested when the temperature drops below freezing.
DAY 8: Rhine Valley - Amsterdam (New Year's Eve)
Continuing into the Netherlands, we check into the hotel before driving into the city for a cruise of the iconic canals. Starting from the Rijksmuseum, enjoy a pizza and views of Amsterdam's famous townhouses as you navigate the canals and bridges, finishing off by Central station. Your tour leader will then take you on a walking tour of the city centre and the infamous Red Light District. The rest of the evening is then yours to explore - you’re celebrating New Year’s Eve in Amsterdam so join us for a big party with the friendly Dutch in this lively city!
DAY 9: Dutch Countryside Tour
Welcome to a New Year! Celebrate with an entertaining demonstration on how traditional Dutch clogs are made, followed by a lesson in local cheese making. There is time to pop some clogs on, and taste the cheesy treats. Your next stop for the day is to the historical windmill village of Zaanse Schans, where you will discover how they were vital to industrial development in the Netherlands. This is a great chance to get some fabulous photos! A visit to the quaint sea side village of Volendam allows you to stretch your legs, wander the main street filled with cafes and local nick-nacks and admire the sprawling views. We'll then head back to the hotel, with a drop off in the city centre for those who want to explore Amsterdam further.
DAY 10: Bruges - London
After your Amsterdam adventure, you have one more stop before you set off for the UK. Bruges is a small but picturesque city in Belgium, with breathtaking architecture and a wonderful personality. Described as the ‘Venice of the North’, take some time to stretch your legs and indulge in a spot of sight-seeing. You will find plenty of chocolatiers ready to educate you on the quality of their produce. After your visit, you will then be on your way back to London, crossing the English Channel on the way. This is the perfect time to exchange contact details with new friends and travel buddies as you prepare to disembark in the capital.
- 9 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 9 breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 4 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 11 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Train to Jungfraujoch
- Montparnasse Tower
- Cabaret Show
- River Seine Cruise
- Full Day Beginner Package – Ski or Snowboard
- Afternoon Beginner Package – Ski or Snowboard
- Night Sledding with Fondue Dinner
- Snowshoe Tour
- Winter Alpine Adventure –Snowshoe tour + Day Sledding Combo
- Paris + Tour
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary above for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts and finishes in London. Please have a look at our essential tour help page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can we start/finish the tour in Europe?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).