Italy at Leisure
Rome. Venice. The Vatican. And that's only the tip of the marvellous Italian iceberg! On this ten-day tour of Italy, we chase down a taste of la dolce vita as we make our way from one picture-perfect city to the next.
We walk among the remnants of ancient civilisations, traverse the smallest country in the world, sample local vintages at the heart of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, visit the famously scantily-clad David, check out the world's best-loved bit of shoddy architectural craftsmanship, and glide along the canals of one of the most romantic cities in the known universe. In between there is plenty of time to get lost along cobbled alleyways, bump into colourful characters and find your own way through the spellbinding maze of La Bella Italia’s most iconic cities. This 10-day guided coach tour of Italy is the perfect introduction to the country’s many splendours.
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE Wi-Fi in hotels.
- Massive early bird savings
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: Arrive in Rome
Welcome to Rome! The first day of the tour is an arrivals day: meet up with your tour leader at our accommodation in the afternoon and prepare for the tour of a lifetime! If you arrive early, head into the city and see some of the sites that make Rome famous the world over. An ancient city that has seen the rise and fall of entire empires, there is no shortage of historical real estate to feast your eyes on. Not to mention designer shopping and brilliant food. Tonight, you’ll meet the rest of the tour group at our included welcome dinner.
DAY 2: Rome & Vatican City tour
This morning we’ll take you on a combined driving and walking tour of the Italian capital to introduce you to some of Rome’s many historic sights, including the Colosseum, Circus Maximus, Castle d'Angelo and the Tiber river, with photo stops along the way. We'll then enjoy an included lunch in a local restaurant, before departing for our guided walking tour of the Vatican City! Included in the price of your Expat Explore tour package is entrance to the Vatican with queue jump privilege and the services of a local guide. Marvel at glittering artworks, vast marble halls and opulent architecture - including the Sistine Chapel! - all part and parcel of the Vatican’s status as the seat of papal power.
DAY 3: Rome - Free day
Rome is one of the highlights of any Italian tour; it wasn’t built in a day, but luckily you have a free one in which to explore the capital to your heart's content. The city centre boasts ancient ruins, historical landmarks, religious buildings and a buzzing atmosphere like no other. The Colosseum is spectacular, and for those who wish to enter, there are fabulous views of the city, and an unbelievable feeling of drifting backwards in time, to when gladiators, chariots and lions dominated the arena. Alternatively, join our optional excursion to explore the legendary ruins of Pompeii.
DAY 4: Siena - San Gimignano - Tuscany
Today we’ll drive north through the beautiful countryside to the region of Tuscany. Our first stop is the medieval town of Siena, famous for the 'Palio' horse race and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We then stop off in the medieval town of San Gimignano with its iconic towers, to sample local wines and enjoy Antipasto (a selection of cheese, cured meats, bread and olives). To round off a brilliant day of exploring we’ll enjoy an included dinner this evening at our accommodation in a spa town in the Tuscan hills.
DAY 5: Pisa - Florence - Tuscany
Today we’ll explore the undoubted highlights of Tuscany; Pisa and Florence! Our first stop is the iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa. Now over 800 years old, it’s a classic sight in Italy and well worth a visit to get a few photos of you 'holding up' the tower! On arrival in Florence, we’ll take a guided walking tour of the city accompanied by an expert local guide, who will introduce you to all the sights, including Ponte Vecchio, Florence Cathedral and the Basilica of Santa Croce. You’ll then have some free time to explore - why not see Michelangelo’s David in the Galleria dell'Accademia? - before we return to our accommodation in the Tuscany region.
DAY 6: Tuscany - Free day
Enjoy a free day to explore Tuscany and the surrounding area. If you enjoyed Florence yesterday it is only a short train ride away - you’ll have all day to explore the museums, art galleries and shops to your heart’s content! Alternatively, you can take our optional excursion to Cinque Terre! Cinque Terre literally means ‘Five Lands’ and consists of five coastal cliff-side towns linked by rail and by footpaths. Overlooking the Mediterranean and amply supplied with fresh produce from the surrounding farms and homesteads, this is a region with all the ingredients to make for an unforgettable day.
DAY 7: Modena - Verona - Venice
Today, we’ll be driving to Venice, and on the way we'll make a couple of fantastic stops. Our first is Modena, where you’ll enjoy a tasting of balsamic vinegar. We’ll then drive on to Verona where you’ll have some free time to experience Juliet’s balcony – where Shakespeare’s Juliet is said to have been wooed by Romeo - and the Verona Arena. Arriving in Venice this afternoon, we'll enjoy the perfect introduction to this magical destination, with a private boat cruise of the Grand Canal - a perspective of Venice you will never forget! Our accommodation for the next three nights is in the heart of the Venice islands, just a short stroll from the Grand Canal, Peggy Guggenheim Collection, the Santa Maria della Salute church and many other highlights.
DAY 8: Venice - Free day
Today you have a full free day to explore Venice, but first your tour leader will give you an orientation tour of the canals and alleyways, pointing out the main sights to help you plan the rest of your day. You can get a classic Venetian view from the famous Rialto Bridge, board a gondola and see Venice from the water, try Venetian cuisine, visit museums and art galleries and simply get the full Venetian experience! Alternatively you can choose to relax and soak up the sun on the sandy beaches at Jesolo or Lido. There’s also St Marks Square, The Bridge of Sighs and the Doge’s Palace to see – plus any number of culinary delights to sample, too!
DAY 9: Venice - Free day
Enjoy another free day to explore Venice and cover everything you couldn’t fit in yesterday! Your tour leader can organise a trip further out into the lagoon to visit Murano and Burano. These islands are famous for their glass-blowing and lace-making crafts respectively, and rows of beautiful multi-coloured houses. To learn more about the gondola’s visit Squero di San Trovaso, the oldest boatyard in Venice where gondolas are built and repaired. This evening is your last night together with your tour leader and fellow travellers, so we’ll enjoy a special farewell dinner before we part ways tomorrow morning.
DAY 10: End of tour
After breakfast, we say goodbye to our travel companions and depart for home. We hope you have enjoyed your 10 day Italian tour. Arrivederci, Italia!
- 9 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 9 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 3 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 11 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Cinque Terre
- Pompeii Day Trip
- Venice Gondola Ride
- Murano, Burano & Venetian lagoon
- Venice by night
- Taste of Tuscany
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary above for full details of what activities are included, which meals are included and what is excluded. We would recommend budgeting €25-€40 per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, all rooms are twin bed as standard.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts in Rome and finishes in Venice. Please have a look at our essential tour help page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have several blank pages as Visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.
Have a question?
Are children allowed?
Are international flights included in the tour price?
Are transfers included in the tour price?
Can I access wi-fi on the tour?
Can you cater for my dietary requirements?
Can you provide a triple room?
Can you send me a quote?
Can you tell me the name of the hotels I will be staying in?
Do I get allocated a seat on the coach?
If you have any medical conditions that may be affected by where you sit, please discuss them with your Tour Leader, but note that the seat rotation policy will most likely mean that your request may not be honoured.
Do I need a visa to travel on this tour?
Do I need to change money before the tour?
Do you have storage/left luggage facilities?
How can I get the documents I need to apply for my visa?
How do I book/pay?
How many other people will be on my tour?
How much luggage can I bring?
How much spending money do I need for my holiday?
How much time will be spent on the coach?
How much walking is involved in your tours?
Is Europe a safe place to travel to?
Is my deposit refundable?
Is travel insurance compulsory?
For a relatively small price, travel insurance provides you with the peace of mind so that you can enjoy your tour without any worries. To receive a quote from one of our preferred travel insurance partners, please visit WorldNomads (for all nationalities) or Hollard (for South Africans).