Please note: We are not the operator of this tour, but an agent. This will also reflect as such in your purchase receipt. Please refer to our terms & conditions should you require more information.
Experience the historic, picturesque sights of the world’s largest country on the Russia Land and Cruise tour. Spend starlit nights cruising along the Volga River, and wake up to a whole new destination each morning!
Take in all the sights of Moscow as you spend four days exploring the country’s capital. Visit four of the eight cities in the golden ring over the next couple of days. Cruise the Volga river - the longest river in Europe - and explore the historic Russian towns northeast of Moscow. Follow in the footsteps of countless pilgrims as you visit Sergiev Posad and Goritsky monasteries. Spend time in Uglich - one of the oldest cities in Russia. Next, visit the historic city of Yaroslavl, transformed into a commercial hub by Catherine the Great. Then, go back in time as you encounter the island of Kizhi and the historic village of Mandrogi. End this unforgettable Russian tour by cruising to St Petersburg and spend 3 days sightseeing in Russia’s Imperial Capital.
Photos of the Tour
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- FREE wi-fi in Moscow hotel and during cruise.
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $110.00 or minimum £50.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: Arrive in Moscow
Welcome to Moscow and day 1 of your Russian tour! Check in at the hotel lobby and meet your tour leader. Once you’ve settled in, you have the day to explore before joining us for the welcome dinner this evening. Make use of Moscow’s metro system, it’s the fastest mode of transport in the world. Trains run every 90 seconds during rush hour, and an estimated 9 million passengers use the metro every day!
DAY 2: Moscow city tour
See the sights of Moscow from the comfort of the coach. Snap a few photos as you stop off at the iconic landmarks. No trip to Russia is complete without a visit to the Kremlin, known as the heart of the city. Walk along Old Arbat street and do some souvenir shopping. Spend the evening exploring the the city, and perhaps sample some local vodka.
DAY 3: Moscow
Today you’ll check in to the cruise ship. Before stepping aboard, spend the morning exploring Moscow’s sights. You’re spoilt for choice. Set out on your own, or speak to your tour leader about what optional experiences they have for you to join. Reconvene with your group back in the hotel lobby, hop aboard your shuttle and head to the ship.
DAY 4: Sergiev Posad
Make your way to Sergiev Posad. This beautiful city is famous for its monastery, the blue domes of which can be seen from afar. Take your time exploring the city and all it has to offer. Here, you can take a step back as far as the 14th century! After exploring, meet back at the coach and head back to the boat. After a delightful dinner on board, sit back and revel in the onboard entertainment.
DAY 5: Moscow - Free day
It’s your last day to soak up all that Russia’s capital has to offer. Take the time to visit the sites you’ve missed the first time around. Join your tour leader on some intriguing optional excursions, or wander about on your own. Just be sure to be back on board by 16:30. This is when we’ll fire the engines to make our way to our second stop on our Russian boat tour. Dine on board and see the city lights of Moscow disappear into the night.
DAY 6: Uglich
Wake up to the boat is cruising along the Volga River. As part of your tour package, you can make use of the boat’s view decks and marvel at the scenery passing us by. We arrive in the city of Uglich in the late afternoon and waste no time to start exploring. The walking tour includes the Kremlin and its surrounding sites, Church of St. Dmitry on the Blood and the Transfiguration Cathedral. Head back to the boat by 19:30 and sit down to dinner as the ship departs for Yaroslavl.
DAY 7: Yaroslavl
Open your eyes as we dock at our next destination - Yaroslavl. After breakfast on board, we venture onto land and through the oldest and largest city on the Golden Ring. Catch a glimpse of all the sights on your city bus tour and take your time meandering through the local market. Capture a photo of the outside of the Church of St Elijah the Prophet, and wander inside the Church of St Nicholas the Wonderworker. Take part in an interactive tour of the former Governor’s House, which is now an art gallery. Then, it’s onto the boat by 12:00, where you will be treated to lunch and your river cruise continues to our next stop.
DAY 8: Goritsky
Wake up to the sounds of the Volga River en route towards Goritsy. Before reaching land, indulge in a Russian tea ceremony on board. Set off to explore the Monastery of St Cyril on the White Lake. Eat lunch onboard and embrace Russian culture as you participate in traditional song and dance classes. Lose yourself in the Russian fairy tales before the Slavic dinner aboard. End the night with some live music in the bar.
DAY 9: Kizhi
Spend the morning en route to Khizi, an island on Lake Onega. Take part in Russian language and napkin folding classes. Enjoy a relaxed lunch onboard with your fellow passengers. Participate in the Captain’s bridge tour and see what goes on behind the scenes of your Russian boat cruise. A pirate’s game will be on offer where you can “seek the treasure” before arriving in Kizhi. Roam through the sights on a walking tour of the Khizi enclosure. Visit the open-air museum of wooden architecture and see the Transfiguration Cathedral. Next up is the Intercession Cathedral, and exploring inside an izba (traditional wooden house). Get back aboard by 20:00 and sit down to a delicious meal. End the day with an evening show of Mr and Mrs Cruise and live music.
DAY 10: Mandrogi
Arrive in Mandrogi after breakfast and take your time admiring the landscape and the romantic village itself. Meander through the traditional Russian town and see the typical wooden houses and crafts exhibited by locals. Indulge at the Russian pancake and pie house or visit the Museum of Vodka (at extra cost). Before heading back to the ship, enjoy a local lunch in Madrogi. This evening it’s time to dress up and dine with the captain. Spend your last evening on board dancing and enjoying music in the bar!
DAY 11: Saint Petersburg
Your cruise to St Petersburg has reached its final destination. After breakfast it’s time to explore Imperial Russia’s capital. The city tour will show you all the sights that Saint-Petersburg has to offer - from museums and monuments, to parks and palaces. Tour through the Peter and Paul Fortress. Visit the iconic Hermitage Museum and its incredible exhibits. End your day of exploring back on the ship, with a hearty meal.
DAY 12: Saint Petersburg
After breakfast on the boat, head back to land and explore Peterhof Palace. The Palace served as the summer residence of the emperors for 200 years. The design of the Lower Garden is based on that of 17th century formal French gardens. Enjoy lunch on the ship. The afternoon is yours to either join the group for the fun Rivers & Canals experience, or to spend as you please. End the day with a dinner on board.
DAY 13: Saint Petersburg - Free day
It’s the last full day of your Russian vacation. You can spend the day as you please - ask your tour leader for some optional ideas or venture out on your own. You could visit the town of Pushkin and all its historic sights. Or head to Pavlovsk and the Pavlovsk Palace. Shop for some last-minute souvenirs or sit back with some vodka and watch the locals go about their day. This evening you could treat yourself to a night of Russian ballet (at an extra cost), or enjoy an evening of music onboard.
DAY 14: End of tour in Saint Petersburg
After breakfast, the captain and his crew bid farewell to all the passengers. It’s also here that your tour ends. Be sure to exchange contact details with your fellow passengers and new friends!
- 13 nights' accommodation in twin-share hotel rooms and cabins with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room/cabin.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 13 breakfasts, 11 lunches, 12 dinners
- All taxes and fees
- Any public transport used as part of the tour (excludes free days)
- Modern air-conditioned bus transport and river cruise ship
- 29 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Kostroma national folk show
- Novodevichy Convent & Cemetery
- Mysteries of Restoration
- Pushkin & Pavlovsk palaces and parks
- Rivers and Canals of Saint Petersburg
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get great value rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
Most nationalities will require a Russian visa for this tour. Please see our pre-departure information for more details. It is your responsibility to contact the relevant embassy to confirm your visa requirements. We can provide support documentation upon request, please contact us for more information.
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of the activities and meals that are included in the tour cost, and those that are optional/extra. We would recommend budgeting 40-60 USD per day (this excludes optional excursions).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed hotel rooms and cabins.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a hotel room/cabin (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room/cabin then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room/cabin with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room/cabin upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room/cabin. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room/cabin provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple and quad room/cabin requests: We can generally provide a triple on request at the Cosmos Hotel in Moscow. During the river cruise portion of the tour (Day 3 to Day 14) triple cabins are not available. If you are travelling in a trio and would like to share a cabin, we can request a quad cabin for you at extra cost. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room in Moscow and/or quad cabin for the river cruise. Where we cannot provide a triple room and/or quad cabin when requested, the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts in Moscow and finishes in Saint Petersburg. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have at least two blank pages as visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.