Eastern USA & Canada Escape
Get ready for a comprehensive guided tour of highlights of the Eastern US & Canada! Over the course of 12 days, your Expat Explore tour leader will show you some of both countries' most amazing sights and travel experiences.
In America we'll explore Boston, Washington, D.C. and Detroit. In Canada we'll introduce you to Ottawa, Quebec, and Toronto. The stunning Niagara Falls are a must-see on any traveller's bucket list, so of course we'll stop over at this natural wonder.
As we travel through the US states including Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, as well as the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario, we’ll pass through some of North America's most scenic landscapes.
This unique itinerary includes top attractions and overnight stays in both cities and smaller towns. This way you can really get a feel for each country and its people. There are also plenty of opportunities to tailor the tour to your liking. Add optional outings to build out your adventure, or follow your own path on free days. Best of all - you'll travel in style and stay in comfort throughout your vacation with Expat Explore.
Photos of the Tour
Why this Trip
- All tour dates are guaranteed to depart.
- No minimum numbers required.
- All accommodation has free wifi & air-conditioning.
- Massive early bird savings.
- Only 10% deposit or minimum $80.00 required and no booking fees.
Itinerary PrintView full Itinerary here
DAY 1: New York City, NY - Newport, RI - Boston, MA
We jump into our Eastern US & Canada holiday without wasting a second. After meeting up in the morning, we immediately make our way from New York to Boston. Along the way we stop in Newport, Rhode Island, with some free time to explore and grab lunch. This beautiful seaside town has a rich history. It was founded in 1639 and became an important port in the colonial era. Since then it has transformed into a bustling artists' community and popular holiday destination. It is also home to the US Naval War College. Leaving Newport behind, we'll cruise through Connecticut to Boston. After settling in at our hotel, your Expat Explore tour leader will take you on a driving tour. We'll see a few of Boston’s highlights, including Quincy Hall and the city’s oldest park. Tonight during your welcome dinner, remember to introduce yourself to anyone in the group you haven't met!
DAY 2: Boston, MA - Free day
Boston is such an interesting city that we are giving you a full day to explore on your own. Make the most of your first free day on your Eastern US holiday and get a good eyeful of this stunning destination. Your Expat Explore tour leader can recommend optional outings that include a trolley tour and dinner cruise. Alternatively, follow your nose and explore Boston at your own pace.
DAY 3: Boston, MA - Cannon Mountain, NH - Quebec City, QC
See ya Boston! Today our US holiday crosses over the border into Canada. But first, we drive through White Mountain National Forest to stop at Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire. We take the aerial tramway to the top to enjoy views as far as Maine, Vermont and New York. This is a priceless photo opportunity! Next, we cross into Canada and head straight for Quebec City, the country's only walled settlement. Once we've freshened up at the hotel, we hit the road on a walking tour. This takes us along many historical places including Old Quebec, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Not to mention Chateau Frontenac, the Place Royale and the Citadel/Musée Royal 22è Régiment. You have some free time to explore by yourself before enjoying dinner as a group at the hotel.
DAY 4: Quebec City, QC - Free day
Canadian holidays call for lots of exploration, so we're giving you a full day to discover Quebec. This beautiful city has plenty of cultural destinations and outdoor activities to enjoy. You could even head out of town to drink in the stunning landscapes. Speak to your Expat Explore tour leader about optional activities. You could for instance join in on a day trip to Montmorency Falls, or simply see the sights by yourself - the choice is yours!
DAY 5: Quebec City, QC - Montreal, QC - Ottawa, ON
Au revoir Quebec! The next stop on our Eastern US & Canada holiday is Ottawa, Canada's capital. On the way we'll stop off in Old Montreal. This is a great time to try a local favourite. We recommend poutine - French fries topped with cheese curd and gravy (it's much better than it sounds!). Once we arrive in Ottawa, we will do a quick check in at our hotel and then hop back on the coach to Parliament Hill. Once we arrive, your tour leader will take you on a walking tour, highlighting Parliament Hill and a few other highlights. Your walking tour concludes in ByWard Market, were you can snap a quick photo by the OTTAWA sign and grab something to eat, before heading back to the hotel for the evening.
DAY 6: Ottawa, ON - McDonalds Corners, ON - Toronto, ON
After leaving Ottawa, our Canadian holiday continues as we make our way to Toronto. On the way we stop for a maple syrup demonstration and tasting. Did you know Canada exports 9.4 million+ litres of maple syrup per year? That a whole lot of waffle topping! When we arrive in Toronto, your Expat Explore tour leader will lead you on a tour of the city centre. Once you have your bearings, you can take the entire evening to explore at your own pace.
DAY 7: Toronto, ON - Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON - Niagara Falls, ON
No Canadian vacation package is complete without a visit to Niagara Falls. Today we leave Toronto behind and travel away from the Great Lake Ontario to this famous natural landmark. Before reaching the falls, we’ll will make a stop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, a quaint little town where we try Ontario's renowned ice wine. Afterwards, we visit Niagara's majestic Horseshoe Falls and then head to our hotel. The evening is yours to explore. You can join a boat tour to the falls, or experience them from the viewing points at the top. There is a lot to do - see the falls at night, stroll along Clifton Hill or visit a casino. It's up to you!
DAY 8: Niagara Falls, ON - Detroit, MI
Today our Eastern US & Canada holiday takes us back to the United States. We leave Canada and make our way to Detroit. This urban and gritty American city is best known for muscle cars and Motown music. Detroit took a hit in the recession, but is now starting to reinvent itself. We go on a guided driving/walking tour and learn more about the rise & fall of this great city, before enjoying an included dinner.
DAY 9: Detroit, MI - Cleveland, OH - Pittsburgh, PA
Today we make our way to Pittsburgh via Cleveland. During our comfort stop in Cleveland, try a Polish Boy. This iconic sandwich features grilled kielbasa sausage on a bun with barbecue sauce, coleslaw and chips. American roadside cuisine at its best! When we arrive in Pittsburgh, we'll take a ride on the 100-year-old Duquesne Incline. Once we reach the observation deck atop Mt. Washington you'll be able to see the entire city and its three beautiful rivers.
DAY 10: Pittsburgh, PA - Washington, D.C.
The next stop on our US holiday is Washington DC. Travelling east, we reach the nation's capital and start exploring immediately. We visit Arlington Cemetery and the resting place of JFK. Once everyone has freshened up at the hotel we set out again. The Expat Explore coach will take you on the Illumination Tour - a nighttime outing that shows Washington's most famous landmarks all lit up. This includes sights like the White House, Washington Monument, the Pentagon & more! After our tour, we enjoy an included dinner together.
DAY 11: Washington, D.C. - Free day
Today you have the whole day to explore Washington. You could arrange a ticket to the Old Town trolley that takes visitors to all the major sights. Or you can go all out and purchase the Washington DC Explorer Pass. This value-added ticket gives you access to the Big Bus Hop-on Hop-off tour. Along the way you'll see the International Spy Museum, Madame Tussauds DC, the Capital Wheel and more! The Pass also includes bike and kayak rental if you feel like working up a sweat.
DAY 12: Washington, D.C. - Philadelphia, PA - New York City, NY
Today is the last day of your Eastern US holiday, and we've saved the best for last. We wave Washington goodbye and make our way to New York via Philadelphia. We make a comfort stop at the Pennsylvania Convention Centre in the heart of downtown Philly. Here you can grab some lunch on the go and walk to the Liberty Bell Centre or Independence Hall. We then head to the Big Apple, where your tour concludes.
- 11 nights' accommodation in twin rooms with private en-suite facilities. Single travellers have the option to pay a single supplement to ensure a private room.
- Services of your Expat tour leader, who will be on hand with advice and tips to ensure that you get the most from your trip. You can also book any of the optional excursions available during your tour with your tour leader – please see the 'Essential Information' tab for more details.
- 11 breakfasts, 5 dinners
- Local taxes and fees
- Modern air conditioned coach with reclining seats, TV for showing DVDs, and toilet.
- 24 Experiences (including guided walking tours, orientation walks, driving tours of cities plus other exciting experiences)
- Free Expat Explore tour souvenir – a memorable gift of your once in a lifetime trip.
Optional ExcursionsOptional excursions are payable in cash currency to your tour leader whilst on tour.
- Hop-on, hop-off Trolley tour
- CN Tower
- Philly From The Top
- Montmorency Falls
- Helicopter ride over the Niagara Falls
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Entry
- Salem Witch City day trip
Return customers get 10% off!
If you have traveled with us before you qualify for a 10% rebate. To claim your rebate, simply type your previous Booking Number in the "Special Notes" box at the final Payment step of the checkout.
Save - without compromising on quality - by booking directly with the leading tour operator
How we make awesome trips affordable
- No intermediary: You book directly from the tour operator so you don't have to pay any travel agent.
- As a Europe leading bus tour operator we have 11 years of experience finding the best hotels for your budget and continuously optimizing our selection based on customer feedback.
- We book our hotels well in advance so we get early bird rates that we can pass on to you!
- Thanks to the great number of people who travel with us each year, we can negotiate great deals that would be quite impossible for you to find on your own.
Detailed Info Pack
- Tour start & end points
- Pre-departure information
- Pre-tour accommodation
For more information on, starting points & times, emergency contact details, budgeting for your tour & much more you can download our information pack here.
Helpful Pre-Trip Info
Most nationalities will require pre-arranged visas or Electronic System for Travel Authorization's (ESTA's) for the USA and Canada for this tour. Please see our visas page for more information. It is your responsibility to contact the relevant embassy to confirm your visa requirements. Where a visa is required Expat Explore can provide support documentation upon request - please contact us for more information.
On tour costs
Please refer to the tour itinerary for full details of the activities and meals that are included in the tour cost, and those which are optional/extra. We would recommend budgeting $50-75 per day (this excludes optional excursions, see the essential tour information page for details and prices).
Please note, by default all rooms are twin bed rooms.
- Partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a room (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) and we are unable to secure a triple room then the the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender.
- Single Travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge - you will share a twin room with another passenger of the same gender. There is an optional single supplement/private room upgrade available for single travellers who wish to have a private room. This can be added at the time of booking or by contacting our customer services team. Please note that the room provided may be a single room with a single bed.
- Triple Room requests: We can generally provide a triple room on request; however it is not guaranteed to be available in every destination. Please contact our customer services team to request a triple room. Please note that in some hotels, the triple may be a double and a single bed, or the third bed may be a pull-out or bunk-bed. Where we cannot provide a triple room the rooming will consist of one twin room and the third passenger sharing with another single traveller of the same gender.
In some destinations you will have a full free day, where you can choose to join our optional excursions or explore on your own.
Your tour starts and finishes in New York City. Please have a look at our essential tour information page for detailed information.
This should be valid for at least six months after you have returned home from your trip. You should also have at least two blank pages as visas and entry/exit stamps can take up a whole page.